Sunday, November 18, 2007

Thing 18: Online productivity tools

Although I have been a recipient of, and editor for, several Google documents, I had never created one myself. It was helpful to go through the steps of adding a folder, creating and naming a document, dragging the doc to my new folder, and sharing it with someone. One of the upload features is the ability to email content to my Google Docs account. Anything in the text section of the email is automatically added as a document. This would be really useful for some of the organizations I belong to where we shuffle documents back and forth between editors. How much more efficient it would be to edit in one place and then export the file as a PDF for publication as a brochure or announcement. Most of the committee members use Microsoft Word, which I don't have on my computer, but it doesn't matter since all the editing is done in a browser. The "Knowledge management" posting that follows was published to my blog directly from Google Docs.

No comments: